here for the pattern). My mother gave me a package of fat quarters (Rhythm & Blues collection, Red Rooster) to start a quilt. The patterns are funky, modern flowers and swirls, in turquoise, black, gray and white. I had it in my mind that I wanted to bring in some bright green, sort of lime/chartreuse. I needed a bridging fabric then, which turquoise, green and white. I made a trip to one of my local quilt stores and found just the thing, a lovely floral in a modern line art, and a turquoise-lime polka dot. I also got some solids (Kona, Peapod and Putty, I think, and maybe Lagoon???) as the pattern said six patterns and six solids. I had some patterns that read as solids, so I used those in place of some of the solids since there were some patterns that I just couldn't do without. I chose a white for the sashing. As you can see, I chose the layout option that has the same block pattern across each row.
This seems to be the point in the quilt where you feel "almost done", sort of like when you paint a room, and feel "almost done" when you have the walls done. Never mind that you still have the finicky baseboards and trim, putting back all the furniture and rehanging pictures. I think I am almost at the point of having the walls almost done so you can stand back and think, wow, I like that. But there's a whole lot left to do that doesn't seem nearly as much fun. I will have to keep going, though, and get it done because I have a lot of quilts in my mental queue, and I recklessly promised the husband that I would only have one or two projects on the go at a time. (I know, I know. Don't tell me how stupid I was to do that! It was a rookie mistake. Kind of like in my stamping life, when I used to think a person could get by (and even do just fine) with only one kind of black ink. I have learned a valuable lesson about reckless promises though. Never again!)
I am keen to do the back. This pattern also has a pieced back, which is quite lovely on the pattern. I will be doing the back in two of the Kona solids, and a row of sampler blocks. You make six of each pair of fabrics, but only use five on the front. I didn't read the pattern properly though in advance (speaking of rookie mistakes) and saved some of my favourite fabrics from the collection for the back. Which I won't be using if I follow the pattern. It's my first quilt, so I'm not sure if I'm quite ready to go rogue like that. We'll see....